Bonnie L. Westra, PhD, RN, FAAN, FACMI
Dr. Westra is an Associate Professor in the School of Nursing and Director for the Center for Nursing Informatics. Prior to the University, she was owner in a software company that developed an electronic health record integrated with scheduling and billing for home care, hospice and public health. At the University, her informatics research includes terminology development, application, and evaluation; knowledge discovery in databases; predictive analytics for outcomes; and evaluating and deriving new evidence based guidelines from electronic health record (EHR) data. She leads an interprofessional team to develop information models from flowsheets to extend common data models for comparative effectiveness research. She co-chairs the Architecture and Informatics Committee for the University’s CTSA grant, responsible for development of a clinical data warehouse and tools for researchers to access EHR data. Westra was involved in a 10 site PCORI grant developing a common data model and data standardization. She co-leads a national initiative (Nursing Knowledge: Big Data Science)for comparable and sharable nurse-sensitive data to extend big data for data science (http://z.umn.edu/bigdata). The work includes 10 national virtual working groups with annual meetings to report progress.
Terminology development, application, and evaluation; knowledge discovery in databases; predictive analytics for outcomes; and evaluating and deriving new evidence based guidelines from electronic health record data
Awards & Recognition
2016 University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee, College of Nursing’s 50 Distinguished Alumni
2014 AMIA Leadership Award
2014 Minnesota e-Health Leadership and Impact
2011 Fellow of the American College of Medical Informatics
2009 Fellow of the American Academy of Nursing
- Co-Director, Center for Nursing Minimum Data Set Knowledge Discovery
- Cooperative Membership:
Population Health and Systems
- Center Membership:
Center for Nursing Informatics
Center for Gerontological Nursing
Associate Professor, School of Nursing
Associate Professor Emerita, School of Nursing, Center for Nursing Informatics
Co-Director, Center for Nursing Informatics, Center for Nursing Informatics
PhD, University of Wisconsin (Gerontology, Chronic Illness), 1991
MS, University of Colorado (Community Health Nursing), 1979
BS, College of St. Teresa (Nursing), 1975
Westra’s informatics research includes terminology development, application, and evaluation; knowledge discovery in databases; predictive analytics for outcomes; and evaluating and deriving new evidence based guidelines from electronic health record (EHR) data
Needs Assessments to Inform Improvement in Home Care Services
Role: Primary Investigator
Funding Agency: UMN CTSI Community Engagement
Project Dates: 8/1/2011-7/31/2012
Title of Project: University of Minnesota Clinical and Translational Science Institute
Role: Co-Investigator, AHC-IE Informatics Workgroup Co-Chair
Funding Agency: National Institutes of Health
Project Dates: 7/1/2011-6/31/2016
Title of Project: University Partnership for Health Informatics
Role: Co-Principal Investigator
Funding Agency: DHHS, Office of the National Coordinator for Health Information Technology
Project Dates: 4/12/2010-7/31/2013
The Impact of a Certified Wound, Ostomy, Continence Nurse on Wounds and Incontinence Outcomes for Home Health Care Patients
Role: Principal Investigator
Funding Agency: Wound, Ostomy, Continence Nurses Society (WOCN)
Project Dates: 11/1/2009-6/30/2012
- knowledge discovery in databases
- quality improvement
- systems analysis
- home care
- public health
Research Funding Grants
8/1/16 - 7/31/19, National Science Foundation, Co-PI, SCH: EXP: Collaborative Research: Group-Specific Learning to Personalize Evidence-Based Medicine.
8/20/15 – 8/19/16, Wolters Kluwer, PI, Evaluating patient outcomes after using electronic sepsis surveillance
04/01/2014 – 03/31/2019, AHRQ, Co-Investigator, A Proactive Health Monitoring Intervention for Dementia Caregivers: The eNeighbor
1/1/14 – 9/30/15, PCORI, Co-Investigator, Greater Plains Collaborative(GPC) Clinical Data Research Network
9/14/13 – 8/31/16, NSF, Co-Investigator, Discovering Patterns to Improve Health to Overcome Health Disparities
09/30/2012 – 09/29/2013, AHRQ, Co-Investigator, The Dementia Caregiver Care Planning Tool: Development and Pilot Implementation
07/01/2011 – 6/31/2016, National Institutes of Health, Co-Investigator, University of Minnesota Clinical and Translational Science Award
04/10-09/14, DHHS Office of the National Health Coordinator, Co-PI, University for Health Informatics (UP-HI)
8/1/11 – 12/31//12, University of Minnesota CTSI Grant , PI, Needs Assessment to Inform Improvement in Home Care Services for Older Adults with Chronic Health Conditions
11/09-6/12, Wound, Ostomy, Continence Society, PI, The Impact of a Certified Wound, Ostomy, Continence Nurses on Wounds and Incontinence Outcomes for Home Health Care Patients
4/12/2010-7/31/2013, DHHS, Office of the National Coordinator for Health Information Technology Project
- Westra BL, Christie B, Johnson SG, Pruinelli L, LaFlamme A, Park JI, Sherman SG, Byrne MD, Svenssen-Renallo P, Speedie S. Expanding Interprofessional EHR Data in i2b2. AMIA Jt Summits Transl Sci 2016.https://knowledge.amia.org/amia-59309-cri2016-1.30...
- Matney SA, Settergren TT, Carrington JM, Richesson RL, Sheide A, Westra BL. West J Nurs Res. 2016 Jul 18. pii: 0193945916659471. [Epub ahead of print].
- Johnson, S.G.; Speedie, S.; Simon, G.; Kumar, V.; Westra, B.L. (2016). Application of an Ontology for Characterizing Data Quality for a Secondary Use of EHR Data. Applied Clinical Informatics, 7(1), 69-88. http://dx.doi.org/10.4338/ACI-2015-08-RA-0107
- Olson CH, Dey S, Kumar V, Monsen KA, Westra BL. (2016). Clustering of elderly patient subgroups to identify medication-related readmission risks. Int J Med Inform. 2016 Jan;85(1):43-52. doi: 10.1016/j.ijmedinf.2015.10.004.
- Dey, S., Cooner, J., Delaney, C.W., Fakhoury, J., Kumar, V., Simon, G., Steinbach, M., & Westra, B.L. (2015). Data Mining to Predict Mobility Outcomes in Home Health Care, Nursing Research. 64(4), 435-445.
- Johnson, S.G., Byrne, M.D., Christie, B., Delaney, C.W., LaFlamme, A., Park, J.I., Pruinelli, L., Sherman, S., Speedie, S., Westra, B.L. (2015). Modeling Flowsheet Data for Clinical Research. AMIA Clinical Research Informatics. AMIA Jt Summits Transl Sci Proc. 2015 Mar 25;2015:77-81.
- Westra, B.L., Latimer, G.E., Matney, S.A., Park, J.I., Sensmeier, J., Simpson, R.L., Swanson, J.J., Warren, J.J., & Delaney, C.W. (2015) A National Action Plan for Sharable and Comparable Nursing Data to Support Practice and Translational Research for Transforming Health Care, JAMIA;22(3):600-7.
- Bliss, D. Z., Westra, B. L., Savik, K., & Hou, Y. (2014). Effectiveness of wound, ostomy and continence-certified nurses on individual patient outcomes in home health care. Home Healthcare Nurse, 32(1), 31-38.
- Olson, C., Dierich, M., & Westra, B.L. (2014). Optimization of Decision Support Tool using Medication Regimens to Assess Rehospitalization Risks. Applied Clinical Informatics. 5(3):773-88. doi: 10.4338/ACI-2014-04-RA-0040.
- Westra, B.L., Bliss, D.Z., Savik, K., Hou, Y., Borchert, A. (2013). Effectiveness of Wound, Ostomy, and Continence Nurses on Agency Level Wound and Incontinence Outcomes in Home Care. Journal of Wound, Ostomy, and Continence Nursing, 40(1), 25 – 53.
- Westra, B.L., Paitch, N., Ekstrom, D., Mehle, S.C., Kaeding, M., Abdo, S., Monsen, K.A.. (2013). Getting On with Living Life: Experiences of Older Adults After Home Care. Home Healthcare Nurse, 31 (9).
- Kunkle, D., Westra, B.L., Hart, C.A., Subramanian, A., Kenny, S., & Delaney, C.W. (2012). Updating and Normalization of the Nursing Management Minimum Data Set Element 6: Patient/Client Accessibility. CIN. 30( 3), 134–141. DOI: 10.1097/NCN.0b013e31823eb913
- Choromanski, L., Collins, B.J., Hart, C.M., Westra, B.L., & Delaney, C.W. (2012) Creating an ICNP Subset: Children with HIV/AIDS in Developing Countries, CIN, 30(4). 183-189 DOI: 10.1097/NCN.0b013e3182388655
- Monsen, K.A., Melton, B.G., Timm, J.E., Westra, B.L., Kerr, M.J., Raman, N., Farri, L., Hart, M., & Martin, K.S. (2011). An Empiric Analysis of Omaha System Targets, Applied Clinical Informatics, 2, 317–330
- Dierich, M.T., Mueller, C., & Westra, B.L. (2011). Medication Regimens in Elderly Home Care Patients . Journal of Gerontological Nursing. 37 (12), 45-55.
- Westra, B. L., Savik, K., Oancea, C., Choromanski, L., Holmes, J. H., & Bliss, D. (2011). Predicting improvement in urinary and bowel incontinence for home health patients using electronic health record data. Journal of Wound, Ostomy, & Continence Nursing, 38(1), 77-87.
- Westra, B. L., Dey, S., Fang, G., Steinback, M., Kumar, V., Savik, K., Oanea, C., & Dierich, M. (2011). Interpretable Predictive Models for Knowledge Discovery from Homecare Electronic Health Records. Journal of Healthcare Engineering, 2(1), 55-74.
- Westra, B. L., Dey, S., Fang, G., Steinbach, M., Kumar, V., Savik, K., et al. (2011). Data mining techniques for knowledge discovery from electronic health records. Journal of Healthcare Engineering, 2(1), 55-74.
- Westra, B. L. (2011). HITECH University-Based Training. CIN: Computers, Informatics, Nursing, 29(4), 263-264.
- Plasek, J. M., Pieczkiewicz, D. S., Mahnke, A. N., McCarty, C. A., Starren, J. B., & Westra, B. L. (2011). The role of nonverbal and verbal communication in a multimedia informed consent process. Applied Clinical Informatics, 2(2), 240-49.
- Monsen, K. A., Westra, B. L., Oancea, S. C., Yu, F., & Kerr, M. J. (2011). Linking home care interventions and hospitalization outcomes for frail and non-frail elderly patients. Research in Nursing & Health, 34(2), 160-168.
- Westra, B. L., Subramanian, A., Hart, C. M., Matney, S. A., Wilson, P. S., Huff, S. M., Huber, D. L., Delaney, C. W. (2010). Achieving "meaningful use" of electronic health records through the integration of the Nursing Management Minimum Data Set. The Journal of Nursing Administration, 40(7-8), 336-343.
- Westra, B. L., Oancea, C., Savik, K., & Marek, K. D. (2010). The feasibility of integrating the Omaha system data across home care agenices and vendors. CIN: Computers, Informatics, Nursing, 28(3), 162-171.
- Melton, G. B., Westra, B. L., Raman, N., Monsen, K. A., Kerr, M. J., Hart, C. H., et al. (2010). Informing standard development and understanding user needs with Omaha System signs and symptoms text entries in community-based care settings. AMIA Annual Symposium Proceedings, 2010, 512-516.
- Monsen, K. A., Westra, B. L., Yu, F., Ramadoss, V. K., & Kerr, M. J. (2009). Data management for intervention effectiveness research: Comparing deductive and inductive approaches. Research in Nursing & Health, 32(6), 647-656.
- Westra, B.L., Oancea, C., Savik, K., & Marek, K.D. (Accepted). The feasibility of integrating the Omaha system data across homecare agencies and vendors, CIN: Computers, Informatics, and Nursing.
- Westra, B. L., Delaney, C. W., Konicek, D., & Keenan, G. (2008). Nursing standards to support the electronic health record. Nursing Outlook, 56(5), 258-66.
- McCormick, K.A., Delaney, C.J., Brennan, P.F., Effken, J.A., Kendrick, K., Murphy, J., Skiba, D.J., Warren, J.J., Weaver, C.A., Weiner, B., & Westra, B.L. (2007). Guideposts to the Future - An Agenda for Nursing Informatics. Journal of the American Medical Informatics Association, 14, 19-24.
- Westra, B.L., Solomon, D., & Ashley, D.M. (2006). Use of the Omaha System data to validate Medicare required outcomes in home care. Journal of Healthcare Information Management, 20(3), 88-94.
- Westra, B.L, Solomon, D., & Ashley, D.M. (2006). Use of the Omaha System Data to Validate Medicare Required Outcomes in Home Care. Journal of Healthcare Information Management, 20(3), 88-94.
- Westra, B.L. (2005). National Health Information Infrastructure (NHII) and Nursing: Implementing the Omaha System in Community-Based Practice.
- Westra, B.L. (1999). The Omaha System: Bridging Home Care and Technology. On Line Journal of Nursing Informatics. Available: http://ojni.org/3_1/omahaart.htm
- Westra, B.L., Holland DE, Aufenthie J, Cullen L, Finley J, Griebenow L, Hess G, Jacobson T, Kennebek S, McHale J, McMyler E, Ohland J, Ryan S, Wollan P. (1998) Testing the Uniform Needs Assessment Instrument for hospital discharge planning with older adults. Journal of Gerontolological Nursing, 24(5):42-6.
- Marek, K.D., Jenkins, M., Westra, B.L., & McGinley, A. (1998). Implementation of a Clinical Information System in Nurse-Managed Care, Canadian Journal of Nursing Research, ,30(3), 37-44.
- Button P, Androwich I, Hibben L, Kern V, Madden G, Marek K, Westra B, Zingo C, Mead CN. (1998). Challenges and issues related to implementation of nursing vocabularies in computer-based systems. Journal of the American Medical Informatics Association, 5(4), 332-334.
- Button, P., Androwich, I., Hibben, L., Kern, V., Madden, G., Marek, K., Westra, B., Zingo, C., and Mead, C.N. (1998). Challenges and Issues Related to Implementation of Nursing Vocabularies in Computer-based Systems. Journal of the American Medical Informatics Association 5:332-334.
- Westra, B.L., Johnson, S.J., Brady-Schluttner, K., Ellenbecker, Sue, Johnson, M., Lassegard, E., Maas, Meridean, Stone, J.L. (1996). Evaluating Physical Functional Outcomes: One Category of the NOC System. Medsurg Nursing, The Journal of Adult Health, 5 (3), 157-162
- Westra, B. L., Martin, K. S., & Swan, A. (1996). Recognizing the need for standardized documentation and classifying patient needs. Journal of Home Health Care Management and Practice, 8(5), 24-31.
- Westra, B. L., & Raup, G. (1995). Computerized charting: An essential tool for survival. Caring, IV(8), 57-61.
- Westra, B. L., Cullen, L., Brody, D., Jump, P., Geanon, L., & Milad, E. (1995). Development of the home care client satisfaction instrument. Public Health Nursing, 12, 393-399.
- Werley, H., Devine, B., Zorn, C., Ryan, P., & Westra, B. (1992). The Nursing Minimum Data Set: Abstraction Tool for Standardized, Comparable, Essential Data. 1992 IMIA Yearbook of Medical Informatics. Stuttgart: Schattauer.
- Westra, B. L. & Rodgers, B. L. (1991). The concept of integration: A foundation for evaluating outcomes of nursing care. Journal of Professional Nursing, 7 277-282.
- Werley, H., Devine, B., Zorn, C., Ryan, P., & Westra, B. (1991). The Nursing Minimum Data Set: Abstraction Tool for Standardized, Comparable, Essential Data. American Journal of Public Health, 81, 421-426.
Academic Interests and Focus
Nursing & Health Informatics
NURS 5115 Interdisciplinary Healthcare Informatics
NURS 7113 Clinical Decision Support: Theory
NURS 7114 Clinical Decision Support Practicum
NURS 5117 Consumer Health Informatics Practicum
NURS 5116 Consumer Health Informatics
NURS 7118 Human Factors