Donald Connelly, MD, PhD, FACMI
Dr. Connelly is Professor of Laboratory Medicine and Pathology at the University of Minnesota Medical School, Director of the Health Informatics Division, Co-Director of the NLM Training Program, and Director of the Informatics Core of the University's Comprehensive Cancer Center and the Center's caBIG point of contact. His research has focused on clinical decision making related to effective laboratory testing and the development of information technology tools that clinicians choose to use in support of their patient care activities. Currently, he is Principal Investigator of an AHRQ Health Information Technology Implementation Grant focused on the exchange of a clinical record abstract among health system EHRs in a community. He serves on the Minnesota e-Health initiative Advisory Committee and the University's Knowledge Management Task Force. He has published more than 100 scientific articles and book chapters and is the editor of three books. In 1994 his clinical informatics research group implemented the world's first Web-based laboratory results reporting system to support day-to-day patient care activities. He is a member of the College of American Pathologists Information Science and Technology Committee and is on the editorial board of the American Journal of Clinical Pathology. He is a Fellow of the American College of Medical Informatics, a founding member of the American Medical Informatics Association, and was named the 2003 Honorary Fellow of the Association for Pathology Informatics.
Awards & Recognition
- Alpha Omega Alpha
- Fellow, American College of Medical Informatics
- Association for Pathology Informatics Honorary Fellow Award, 2003
- Admissions Committee, National Library of Medicine Medical Informatics Training Program, Health Computer Sciences
Professor Emeritus, Department of Laboratory Medicine and Pathology, Medical School
Professor Emeritus, Institute for Health Informatics
MD, University of Minnesota, (Medicine), 1971
Internship, University of Minnesota Hospitals, (Medicine), 1971-1972
Medical Fellowship, Laboratory Medicine & Pathology, University of Minnesota, 1972-1974
PhD, University of Minnesota, (Biometry & Health Information Systems), 1977
MSEE, North Dakota State University, (Electrical Engineering), 1965
BSEE, North Dakota State University, (Electrical Engineering), 1964
Postdoctoral Fellowship, (Health Computer Sciences), 1972-1974
My research has focused on clinical decision making related to effective laboratory testing and the development of information technology tools that clinicians choose to use in support of their patient care activities. In addition, I've participated in the development of the health informatics infrastructure to support translational science investigators.
Dr. Connelly has widely written in the areas of health informatics. His publications are on: integrating legacy laboratory information systems into a client-server world; the use of clinician workstations to improve laboratory use; the deployment of medical information systems onto the Internet; the closing of the clinical laboratory testing loop with information technology; improvements in the display of clinical microbiology results with a Web-based information system; the use of informatics for outcome prediction; the integration of laboratory information into delivery systems, and the role of the clinical data repository for point of care testing.
Dr. Connelly is a member of the Editorial Board of the American Journal of Clinical Pathology and a reviewer for Clinical Chemistry, Archives of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine and JAMA.
- Connelly DP, Lasky LC, Keller RM and Morrison DS, 1982. A system for graphical display of clinical laboratory data. Amer J Clin Pathol 78:729-37.
- Connelly DP, 1983. Communicating laboratory results effectively: The role of graphical displays. (In) AAMSI Congress 83. Bethesda: AAMSI, pp 113-6.
- Connelly DP, Dean DW and Hultman BK, 1986. Physician-oriented result reporting in an intensive care environment. (In) Salamon R, Blum B and Jorgenen M (eds). Medinfo 86, New York: IEEE, pp 810-12.
- Sielaff BH, Scott EP, and Connelly DP, 1987. ESPRE: Expert system for platelet request evaluation. (In) Stead WW (ed). Proceedings of the Eleventh Annual Symposium on Computer Applications in Medical Care. New York: IEEE, pp 237-240.
- Sielaff BH, Connelly DP and Scott EP, 1989. ESPRE: A knowledge-based system to support platelet transfusion decisions. Trans Biomed Engr 36:541-6.
- Connelly DP, Rich EC, Curley SP and Kelly JT, 1990. Knowledge resource preferences of family practice physicians. J Fam Prac 30:353-59.
- Curley SP, Connelly DP and Rich EC, 1990. Physicians' use of medical knowledge resources: Preliminary theoretical framework and findings. Med Dec Making 10:231-241.
- Willard KE, Hallgren JH and Connelly DP, 1994: W3 based medical information systems vs custom client server applications. Proc 2nd International WWW Conference, Mosaic and the Web. Chicago, October 17-20, pp. 641-651.
- Connelly DP, Sielaff BH, and Willard KE, 1995. A clinicians workstation for improving laboratory use. Integrated display of laboratory results. Am J Clin Pathol 104:243-52.
- Elson RB, Connelly DP, 1995. Computerized patient records in primary care: Their role in mediating guideline-driven physician behavior change. Arch Fam Med 4:698-705.
- Hillson, SD, Connelly DP, Liu Y, 1995. The effects of computer-assisted electrocardiographic interpretation on physician diagnostic processes. Med Decis Making 15:107-112.
- Willard KE, Hallgren JH, Sielaff BH and Connelly DP, 1995. The deployment of a World Wide Web (W3) based medical information system. SCAMC 19:771-75.
- Willard KE, Sielaff BH and Connelly DP, 1995. Integrating legacy laboratory information systems into a client-server world: The University of Minnesota Clinical Workstation (CWS) Project. Meth of Inform Med 34:289-96.
- Connelly DP, Sielaff BH and Willard KE, 1996. The clinical workstation as a means of improving laboratory use. Clin Chem Acta 248:51-64.
- Connelly DP, Willard KE, Hallgren JH, Sielaff, 1996. Closing the clinical laboratory testing loop with information technology. Am J Clin Pathol 105(Suppl 1):S40-47.
- Willard KE, Connelly DP, Johnson JR, 1996. Radical improvements in the display of clinical microbiology results: A Web-based clinical information system. Am J Med 101:541-9.
- Connelly DP, Aller RD, 1997. Informatics and outcomes. Arch Pathol Lab Med 121:1176-1182.
- Elson RB, Connelly DP, 1997. The impact of anticipatory patient data displays on physician decision making: a pilot study. Proc AMIA Annu Fall Symp 233-7.
- Elson RB, Faughnan J, Connelly DP, 1997. An industrial process view of information delivery to support clinical decision making: Implications for systems design and process measures. JAMIA 4:266-78.
- Connelly DP, 1999. Integrating integrated laboratory information into integrated delivery systems. Clin Lab Med 19:277-97.
- Connelly DP, 2002. Using web technologies for implementing testing strategies. Clin Lab Med 22:1-17.
- Connelly DP, 2003. Critical pathways, clinical practice guidelines, test selection and ordering. (In) Ward-Cook K, Lehmann C, Schoeff L and Williams RH (eds) Clinical Diagnostic Technology: The Total Testing Process, Vol. 1, Washington: AACC Press, pp. 47-63.
- Subramanian AT, Aysola AE, Peterson M, Bowman RJ, Haller IV, Skeate RJ, Connelly DP. A Cooperative Community Effort For Blood Use Benchmarking. Transfusion 2007, 47 (Suppl):190A.
- Kube DM, Savci-Heijink CD, Lamblin A-F, Kosari F, Vasmatzis G, Cheville JC, Connelly DP, Klee GG. Optimization of laser capture microdissection and RNA amplification for gene expression profiling of prostate cancer. BMC Molecular Biology 2007, 8:25.
- Skeate RC, Wahi MM, Jessurun J, Connelly DP, 2007. Personal digital assistant-enabled report content knowledgebase results in more complete pathology reports and enhances resident learning. Hum Pathol 38:1727-35.
- Potthoff S, Du J, Speedie S, Connelly DP. Emergency room providers’ perceptions of MyChart’s My Emergency Data: findings from a focus group study. AMIA Annu Symp Proc 2007: 1082.
- Kijsanaytoin B, Speedie SM, Connelly DP. Linking patients’ records across organizations while maintaining anonymity. AMIA Annu Symp Proc 2007: 1008.
- Connelly DP, Kijsanaytoin B, Speedie SM. Synthesis of a database test bed for evaluating record linkage algorithm. AMIA Annu Symp Proc 2007: 917.
- Theera-Ampornpunt N, Speedie SM, Du J, Park Y-T, Kijsanaytoin B, Connelly DP. Impact of prior clinical information in an EHR on care outcomes of emergency patients. AMIA Annu Symp Proc. 2009:634-8.
- Connelly DP, Park Y-T, Du J, et al. The impact of electronic health records on care of heart failure patients in the emergency room. JAMIA 2012, 19:334-40.