Lucy Dunne, PhD
Dr. Dunne's background spans apparel/fashion, computer science, and electrical engineering. Her research focuses on wearable technology and smart clothing, and lies at the intersection of electronic technology and apparel design. Current areas of focus include navigating the comfort/accuracy trade-off in garment-integrated body sensing, novel sensor- and actuator-based interfaces, new media in fashion design, and wardrobe management through ubiquitous computing.
Awards & Recognition
- NASA Silver Achievement Medal, 2013
- NSF CAREER Award, 2013
- International Textiles and Apparel Association Rising Star Award, 2012
- College of Design Outstanding Research Award, 2011
- 3M Non-Tenured Faculty Award, 2011
- Associate Professor and Director, Apparel Design Program
- Director, Wearable Technology Lab
- Member, Human Factors and Ergonomics Graduate Faculty
- Affiliate member, UMN ECE Graduate Faculty
- Affiliate member, Computer Science and Engineering Graduate Faculty
- Member, Product Design Graduate Faculty
Associate Professor, Department of Design, Housing and Apparel, College of Design
Associate Professor and Director, Apparel Design Program, College of Design
Faculty, Human Factors and Ergonomics, College of Design
Affiliate Faculty, College of Science and Engineering
Affiliate Faculty, Institute for Health Informatics (IHI)
PhD, University College (Computer Science), 2007
MA, Cornell University (Apparel Design), 2004
BS, Cornell University (Textiles and Apparel), 2002
AAS, Tompkins-Cortland Community College (Electronic Technology), 2004
- Wearable technology
- Smart clothing
- Functional apparel
- Body sensing
- Human-device interface
- Gioberto, G., and Dunne, L.E. (2012) Theory and Characterization of a Top-Thread Coverstitched Stretch Sensor. Proceedings of the IEEE Conference on Systems, Man, and Cybernetics. Seoul, S. Korea
- Gioberto, G., and Dunne, L.E. (2012) Garment Positioning and Drift in Garment-Integrated Sensing. Proc. of the International Symposium on Wearable Computers, Newcastle, UK.
- Dunne, L.E., Zhang, V., and Terveen, L. (2012) An Investigation of Contents and Use of the Home Wardrobe. Proceedings of the ACM UbiComp Conference on Ubiquitous Computing, Pittsburgh, PA.
- L.E. Dunne, G. Gioberto, H. Koo. (2011) A Method of Measuring Garment Movement for Wearable Sensing. Proc. of the 15th IEEE International Symposium on Wearable Computers, San Francisco, CA, USA.
- L.E. Dunne. (2010) Wearable Technology. In Welters and Lilethun, Eds. The Fashion Reader, 2nd Edition. New York, Berg.
- L.E. Dunne. (2010) Beyond the Second Skin: An Experimental Approach to Addressing Garment Style and Fit Variables in the Design of Sensing Garments. International Journal of Fashion Design, Technology, and Education, 3:3 p109-117.
- L.E. Dunne. (2010) Optical Bend Sensing for Wearable Goniometry: Exploring the Comfort/Accuracy Tradeoff. Research Journal of Textiles and Apparel. 14:4 p73-80.
- L.E. Dunne. (2010) Smart Clothing in Practice: Key Design Barriers to Commercialization. Fashion Practice, 2:1 p41-66.
- L.E. Dunne, P. Walsh, B. Smyth, and B. Caulfield. (2008) Wearable Monitoring of Seated Spinal Posture. IEEE Transactions on Biomedical Circuits and Systems, 2:2 p97-105.
- L.E. Dunne and B. Smyth. (2007) Psychophysical Elements of Wearability. Proc. of Computer Human Interaction, San Jose, CA.
ADes 2222; ADes 3223; ADes 3224; Des 5185