Ravi Janardan, PhD
Ravi Janardan is professor of computer science and engineering at the University of Minnesota, Twin Cities. He earned a Ph.D. degree in computer science in 1987 from Purdue University, West Lafayette, IN. His research interests center around the design, analysis, implementation, and evaluation of algorithms and data structures, particularly geometric algorithms, and their applications. Application areas of interest include, but are not limited to, biomedicine, computer-aided design and manufacture, computational biology, and spatial query retrieval. His research has resulted in several successful interdisciplinary collaborations involving academia and industry.
Awards & Recognition
- Senior Member, IEEE
- Outstanding Paper Award, 24th Annual Meeting of the Engineering and Urology Society, 2009
Professor, Department of Computer Science & Engineering, College of Science and Engineering
Affiliate Faculty, Institute for Health Informatics (IHI)
PhD, Purdue University (Computer Science), 1987
MS, Purdue University (Computer Science), 1985
BTech, Indian Institute of Technology (Mechanical Engineering), 1980
MTech, Indian Institute of Technology (Computer Science), 1982
Geometric algorithms and their applications
- “Automatic feature identification in dental meshes” (with Y. Kumar and B. Larson). Computer-Aided Design and Applications, 9(6), 747–769, 2012.
- "Improved segmentation of teeth in dental models" (with Y. Kumar, B. Larson, and J. Moon). Computer-Aided Design and Applications, 8(2), 211-224, 2011.
- "Efficient top-k queries for orthogonal ranges" (with S. Rahul, P. Gupta, and K. Rajan). In Proc. 5th Workshop on Algorithms and Computation (WALCOM), New Delhi, India, Feb. 2011, pp. 122-133.
- "Multiple structure alignment and consensus identification for proteins" (with I. Ilinkin and J. Ye). BMC Bioinformatics, 2010, 11:71.
- "Modeling and simulation for flexible ureteroscopy" (with V. Rajagopal, R. Miyaoka, M. Monga, and R. Sweet). In Proc. 24th Annual Meeting of the Engineering & Urology Society (EUS), Chicago, IL, Apr. 25, 2009.
- "Drosophila embryonic developmental stage range classification via an entire solution path for LDA" (with J. Ye, J. Chen, and S. Kumar). ACM Transactions on Knowledge Discovery from Data (Special Issue on Bioinformatics), 2(1), 4-1--4-21, 2008.
- "Heuristics for estimating contact-area of supports in layered manufacturing" (with I. Ilinkin, M. Smid, E. Johnson, P. Castillo, and J. Schwerdt). ACM Journal on Experimental Algorithmics, 11(1.6), 1-19, 2006.
CSci 5421; CSci 8442