Wendy L. St. Peter, PharmD, FCCP, BCPS
Dr. Wendy St. Peter is a Professor in the College of Pharmacy at the University of Minnesota. She received her Doctor of Pharmacy degree from the University of Texas and University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio, where she also completed a fellowship in adult medicine. She served as a clinical practitioner at Hennepin County Medical Center in Minneapolis for several years where she provided medication therapy management of dialysis and chronic kidney disease (CKD) patients.
She was Associate Dean and Director, Division of Professional Education in the College of Pharmacy from 1997-2000. In 2000, she became an investigator with the Chronic Disease Research Group and also with the United States Renal Data System (USRDS, 2000-2014). Dr. St. Peter’s career has been focused on improving medication management and drug safety in patients with chronic kidney disease (CKD). She conducts pharmacoepidemiology and health economic and outcomes research using Medicare, commercial datasets and electronic health record data. She has served on several national technical expert panels for medication-related safety and quality measurement.
She is on the Board of Directors of the Kidney Health Initiative, a private public partnership with the Food and Drug Administration, American Society of Nephrology, pharmaceutical manufacturers and many other organizations. Dr. St. Peter holds fellowships in the American Society of Nephrology, American College of Clinical Pharmacy and the National Kidney Foundation. Her current research interests include prevention and treatment of CKD symptoms, anemia, mineral and bone disease, and intersection of heart failure, CKD and acute kidney injury.
Dr. St. Peter has used a team-based learning (TBL) approach in the classroom since 2014 across 2 campuses (TC and Duluth) with 170 students in Phar 6756 Kidney Fluid and Electrolytes course. She currently leads a TBL Users group that includes over 20 faculty, graduate students and staff from the College of Pharmacy and 1 faculty from the College of Veterinary Medicine.
Corporate officer in Nephrology Pharmacy Associates; consultant to several nephrology-related pharmaceutical companies, end-stage renal network 11, dialysis providers; produced and published multiple clinical publications, developed training programs for pharmacists, other practitioners and pharmaceutical sales force.", 1997-2007
Awards & Recognition
- Elected as Fellow of the National Kidney Foundation, 2011
- Finalist for Outstanding Contributions to Graduate and Professional Education Award, University of Minnesota, 2011
- Nominated for American College of Clinical Pharmacy Education Award, 2010
- Inducted as a Distinguished Practitioner in the National Academies of Practice, 2008
- Elected as Fellow of the American Society of Nephrology (FASN), 2007
- Teacher of the Semester and Year Awards by 3rd year PharmD class (Class of 2001), 2000
- Elected as Fellow of the American College of Clinical Pharmacy (FCCP), 1996
- ACCP-Upjohn Pharmacoeconomics Research Award for grant proposal, “Is pharmacist monitoring of epoetin and iron therapy in outpatient hemodialysis patients cost-effective?” 1995
- Board of Directors, Kidney Health Initiative (KHI), a private-public partnership between the Food and Drug Administration and the American Society of Nephrology.
- Medical Advisory Board, National Kidney Foundation
- Scientific Advisory Board, National Kidney Foundation
- Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) End-Stage Renal Disease Medication Reconciliation and Management Technical Expert Panel, 2017
- Kidney Are Quality Alliance (KCQA) Feasibility/Testing Workgroup to develop specifications for medication management quality measures for dialysis facilities. National Quality Forum approved measure in January 2017. 2015-2016
- CMS Technical Expert Panel (TEP) for CKD/ESRD Medication Measures Project, 2006
- Technical Expert Panel (TEP) member for Center for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) for the End-Stage Renal Disease (ESRD) Outpatient Medications Project, 2004-2005
- American Society of Nephrology
- American Co
Affiliate Faculty, Institute for Health Informatics
Internal Medicine Fellowship, University of Texas Health Science Center
PharmD, University of Texas
Currently, St. Peter's research in pharmacoepidemiology is focused on effectiveness and safety of medications in chronic kidney disease patients as well as effectiveness of pharmacists and pharmacy services within new healthcare models.
Funded Research Projects (2014-2018)
- Analytical Research Agreement, (PI), Minneapolis Research Foundation (now Hennepin Healthcare Research Institute), 2000-present
- United States Renal Data System Coordinating Center Contract: HHSN 267 2007 15002C (Basic NO1DK-7-5002) (Co-I), 2007-2014.
- Modifiable Practice-Based Factors Contributing to Acute Heart Failure Rehospitalization in Patients with Chronic Kidney Disease (PI), U of MN AHC System-wide Engagement Grant, 2014-2015.
- The burden of anemia in chronic kidney disease: an observational analysis in the U.S (PI), Astra Zeneca, 2015-2016
- Refining Population Management Criteria to Optimize Return on Investment of MedicationManagement Services in Care Transitions, (PI), Kam-Chen Award, 2015-2017
- Prioritizing Symptoms of ESRD Patients for Developing Therapeutic Interventions (Co-I), Kidney Health Initiative, 2016-2018
- Deprescribing for Older Dialysis Patients. (1K76AG059930-01 (Mentor), 2018-2021
For a list of publications, see PubMed.
- Shafi T, Sozio SM, Bandeen-Roche KJ, Ephraim PL, Luly JR, St. Peter WL, McDermott A, Scialla JJ,
Crews DC, Tangri N, Miskulin DC, Michels WM, Jaar BG, Herzog CA, Zager PG, Klemens B, Meyer, Wu AW and Boulware LB for the DEcIDE Network Patient Outcomes in End Stage Renal Disease Study Investigators. Predialysis Systolic BP Variability and Outcomes in Hemodialysis Patients. J Am Soc Nephrol 2014;25:799-809.
- Yusuf AA, Weinhandl ED, St. Peter WL. Comparative effectiveness of calcium acetate and sevelamer on clinical outcomes in elderly hemodialysis patients enrolled in Medicare Part D. Am J Kidney Dis. 2014;64:95-103.
- Yusuf AA, Howell BL, Powers CA, St. Peter WL. Utilization and costs of medications associated with CKD mineral and bone disorder in dialysis patients enrolled in Medicare part D. Am J Kidney Dis. 2014;64:770-780.
- St. Peter W, Management of polypharmacy in dialysis patients. Sem Dial 2015;28:427-32.
- St. Peter W, Yusuf A, Do T, Lowe K, Liu J, Nieman K, Bradbury B, Collins A. Parathyroid hormone change after cinacalcet initiation and one-year clinical outcome risk: a retrospective cohort study. BMC Nephrol. 2015;16:41.
- Hwang J, Arneson T, St. Peter WL. Minnesota Pharmacists and Medical Cannabis: A Survey of Knowledge, Concerns, and Interest Prior to Program’s Launch. P and T 2016;41:716-722.
- Shafi T, Sozio SM, Luly J, Bandeen-Roche KJ, St.Peter WL, Ephraim PL, McDermott A, Herzog CA, Crews DC, Scialla JJ, Tangri N, Miskulin DC, Michels WM, Jaar BG, Zager PG, Meyer KB, Wu AW, and
Boulware LE. Antihypertensive Medications and Risk of Death and Hospitalizations in US Hemodialysis Patients: Evidence from a Cohort Study to Inform Hypertension Treatment Practices. Medicine 2017;96(5):e5924.
- Westberg SM, Derr SK, Weinhandl ED, Adam TJ, Brummel AR, Lahti J., Reidt SL, Sick BT, Skiermont KF, St. Peter WL. Drug Therapy Problems Identified by Pharmacists Through Comprehensive Medication Management Following Hospital Discharge. J Pharm Technol 2017;33:96-107.
- Sharma A, Janke K, Laron A, St. Peter WL. Understanding the Early Effects of Team-Based Learning on Student Accountability and Engagement in using a Three Session TBL Pilot. Curr Pharm Teach Learn, 2017;9(5):802-7.
- Zhan M, St. Peter WL, Doerfler RM, Woods CM,Blumenthal JB, MD,. Diamantidis CJ, Hsu C, Lash JP, Lustigova E, Mahone EB, Ojo AO, Slaven A,, Strauss L, Taliercio JJ, Winkelmayer WC, Xie D, Fink JC and the Chronic Renal Insufficiency Cohort (CRIC) Study investigators. Patterns of NSAIDs use and their impact on other analgesic use in chronic kidney disease. Clin J Am Soc Nephrol. 2017;12(11):1778-86.
- St. Peter WL, Wazny L, Weinhandl E, Cardone K, Hudson J. Phosphate Binders in CKD: Incremental Progress or Just Higher Costs? Drugs 2017;77:1155-1186.
- Snitker S, Doerfler RM, Soliman E, Deo R, St. Peter WL, Kramlik S, Fischer MJ, Navaneethan N, Delafontaine P, Jaar BF, Ojo A, Makos GK, Slave A, Weir MR, Zhan M, Fink JC. QT-Prolonging Medication Use in Chronic Kidney Disease and Its Associated Electrocardiographic Manifestations: Findings of CRIC Study. Clin J Am Soc Nephrol (accepted). 2017 Aug 9.
- St. Peter WL, Wazny LD, Weinhandl ED. Phosphate-binder use in US dialysis patients: prevalence, costs, evidence and policies. Am J Kidney Dis 2018;71(2):246-253. Accompanying editorial: Kestenbaum et al. Am J Kidney Dis 2018;71(2):255-256.
- St. Peter WL, Guo H, Kabadi S, Gilbertson DT, Peng Y, Pendergraft T, Li S. Prevalence, treatment patterns, and healthcare resource utilization in Medicare and commercially insured non-dialysis-dependent chronic kidney disease patients with and without out anemia in the United States. BMC
- Flythe JE, Hilliard T, Castillo G, Ikeler K, Orazi J, Abdel-Rahman E, Barton Pai A., Rivara MB, St. Peter WL, Weisbord SD, Wilkie C, Mehrotra R. Symptom Prioritization among Adults Receiving In-Center Hemodialysis: A Mixed Methods Study. Clin J Am Soc Nephrol 2018.
- Westberg SM, Yarbrough A, Weinhandl E, Adam TJ, Brummel AR, Reidt SL, Sick BT, St. Peter WL. Drug Therapy Problem Severity Following Hospitalization and Association With 30-Day Clinical Outcomes. Ann Pharmacother 2018.
Board Certified Pharmacotherapy Specialist (1991-2012)
Dr. St. Peter was involved in nephrology as a clinical practitioner from 1988 to 1996 at Hennepin County Medical Center in Minneapolis, Minnesota and obtained Board Certification in Pharmacotherapy in 1991. St. Peter provided an active consult service in the medication management of chronic kidney disease and dialysis patients in both the inpatient and ambulatory settings.
Hennepin County Medical Center (1988-1996)